Your Teachers!

Your Teachers!
Mrs. Beaverson and Miss Yesnes

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Week 9

Math
The students worked hard to learn many new geometry concepts last week. Unit 3 was vocabulary heavy but they didn't let that get in the way. The students participated in a 4 corners activity to show their knowledge of each vocabulary word as we reviewed before taking our test. The tests are waiting for me to be corrected later on tonight after it gets dark, trying to enjoy the beautiful fall weather as much as possible right now. We are moving on to Unit 4 which focuses on long division. It is imperative that students continue working on learning and memorizing their multiplication facts if they don't already know them. For some reason I have been negligent on my picture taking during math time, I have no math pics from last week. 


Reading
We started reading 2 of my favorite novels (I may say that a lot, I do have a lot of favorites) A Long Walk to Water and Home of the Brave. We have been building our knowledge of  Sudan, Africa and the Lost Boys of Sudan by looking at pictures, watching videos, reading articles and reading our novels. I tweeted a picture of the students doing a walk and talk and tagged both authors. Within days both authors had favorited my tweet and Katherine Applegate, author of Home of the Brave, responded to our tweet. I do think I was more excited than the students but it's pretty cool when an author knows you are reading their novel. The students completed their first vocabulary homework and will continue to have this vocabulary homework each week. 

          We just had to take advantage of the beautiful weather and do our walk and talk outside!


The students discuss their assigned reading with a partner before having a large group novel discussion. They are enjoying the novels and doing a wonderful job of thinking critically. 







Social Studies
Last week Ms. Yesnes taught an engaging and valuable lesson on savings goals and saving money. The students participated in a game to see how quickly, or not they could reach their savings goal. It was hilarious to hear students getting frustrated because they had to pay money out instead of saving it. I said, "welcome to being an adult and to reality!"








No comments:

Post a Comment